Rev. Settelmeier was born in Germany and educated at Barmen Missionary School. He was supported in this country by the German Langenberger Verein. In 1851 a log parsonage was built. The log church was turned into a school house in 1852 and a new 30’x50’ brick church was built on the present church site at a cost of $1200.
In order to have desirable ministers and churches, a Kirchenverein, (an inter-denominational church association) was organized in the mid-west. Its purpose was to keep out imposters whose behavior was not in conformity with the principles of religious welfare. It is interesting to note that Bethel Church and the Maria Creek Baptist Church belonged to the association in 1852.