Rev. Susott, born in Elberfeld, Indiana, in 1894, arrived at Bethel as the weather gave him a blustery welcome on his moving day, May 1, 1923. He was trained at Elmhurst and Eden Seminary. Just prior to his arrival, in March 1923, the women of Bethel had been given the right to vote.
Susott's term at Bethel was a time for change. He was a much younger man than his predecessor, and he initiated new, constructive ideas. He had the vigor of youth and the wisdom of years.
Many changes took place during his time at Bethel. At Bethel, he organized a Boy and Girl Scout program with the assistance of Miss Irene Pielemeier and Miss Alvina Brocksmith for the girls, and established summer vacation Bible School. New English hymnals were purchased. Sermons were conducted in English on the 3rd and 5th Sundays of the month, and later every other Sunday. A grove of 150 trees were donated by the members and planted across the road from the parsonage. The Church Constitution was printed in English. Donations were accepted to build a Sunday School building.